Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fashionably Confused+Today's Video=Yes

So yesterday I went to lunch in SoHo when I stumbled upon a "fashionista" that grabed my attention. Now, the fashion scene is predominately owned by the 80's revive hipsters or the quasi Eddie Sedgwick 60's throwbacks. Sometimes a mix of both with a boho twist or a twenties flare. Huh? Exactly. With these rules it seems anything goes as long as you hit up one of these categories and are conscious of doing so. However, upon what I whitnessed yesterday, it seems the rules may not apply. Or, they may already be dated.

This girl was wearing Wrangler jeans circa 1990, a tucked in turquoise T-shirt with animal illustrations printed on it, and solid black saddle shoes. At first glance, I steroptypically and critically thought, hmmm, tourist from iowa? But as she stood in line at the pizza place with her seemingliy hipster co-worker, I thought maybe not. Maybe she's actually a little ahead of the curve. Maybe she knows something we don't. Maybe this is beyond what's ahead in the fashion world. Maybe...she's perfectly on the border between what's considered dated, ugly and out of style, and what's just over the horizon and will soon be funneling down to department stores 3 years from now. After all, if you're already wearing what you see in the stores than you're already outdated right? Maybe...

Then I ate my pizza and wished i had new clothes. But to curb my confusion, here's the video of the day, that to me never goes out of style.

2 comments:

JL said...

I think you should have reported her to the fashion police.

I'm not sure when i'm going to richmond. definitely not as early as the 16th. have to take care of some stuff in l.a. and then i'm flying out to ny to see my R., Then i'm going to head out to richmond. maybe the 20th or something?

Slate Donaldson said...

Compared to some of the current fashion here in Birmingham, that girl sounds like Donatello Versace.