Wednesday, June 13, 2007

You Tube...more like Poop Tube

So I spent almost my enitre work day yesterday surfing You Tube for some really funny, smart, good stuff to get inspired by for the TV spot I'm working on and I came to one BIG realization. You Tube is really not all that. Yes, I'm a hater and I'll tell you why.

There is so much crap on you tube that isn't remotely smart, funny, entertaining or even interesting. Maybe I've just become a snob since I'm in advertising, but where is all the really cool, creative user generated videos? I thought bad homemade creative went out with Bob Saget's Americas Funniest Home videos.

Come on people.

Yes, You Tube is remarkably innovative and is a great idea for it's time, and we've all laughed at vids like "The Landlord," or gotten famous for pretending to be a homeschooled 15 year old, but it's time to move on. And by move on, I mean demand better.

Stay with me people.

If some company like say a big entertainment /media company developed a video sharing site that focused on creativity, I think there would be a strong enough niche to battle with the Tube. A site where videos are filtered and judged by respectable creatives in the industry. A site that's a little more discriminating and challenging for people who seriously want to make good stuff. A site where you couldn't put up a video of your three year old god daughter dancing to "My Humps" in the back seat of your car no matter how "cute" you think it is.

I'm just saying.